Skip to main content

Reflections on the Life of Joseph

One of my favorite Bible stories has been that of Joseph. Maybe it's because I can relate to Joseph's experience of being far from home and his faithfulness to God being tested by people and circumstances. I left home to start my career at the age of 25, and for the past 15 years, God has provided for me, sustained me, and protected me, much like He did for Joseph. I have never gone hungry, been homeless, or lacked opportunities for ministry and fellowship with a community of faith. Although mistakes and missteps have been made along the way, I can confidently say that God has brought me through each and every one of them, and I am still standing today, able to testify of His goodness. As many of us have heard before, "there can't be a testimony without a test", and I believe that the life of Joseph epitomized that.

Joseph with his wife Asenath, and their sons Manasseh and Ephraim
Biblical illustrations by Jim Padgett, courtesy of Sweet Publishing, Ft. Worth, TX, and Gospel Light, Ventura, CA. Copyright 1984. 
Released under new license, CC-BY-SA 3.0

In many ways, I can understand why Joseph's older brothers were annoyed with him. After all, he was born to their father's favorite wife, Rachel, in his old age, and he gave him a coat of many colors as a token of this favor. I think what angered them the most was Joseph telling them about his dream that symbolized someday they would give obeisance to him. Imagine if Joseph was your younger brother; how would you feel if he told you that? Nevertheless, God in His providence was revealing to Joseph, and to his family, Joseph's future life and ministry. He would not only be a savior to his family, but to an entire nation. In their myopic and selfish minds, they were unable to appreciate this revelation as a message from God, but rather as a young boy's fanciful dreams.

No matter what situation or circumstance you are in, just remember that God is greater!

It's both interesting and sobering that our sinful human nature oftentimes obfuscates our relationship with the Father and our ability to comprehend His divine will.

Although Joseph's older brothers had murderous designs, what they intended for evil, God in His mercy, grace, and omniscience, intended for good. By throwing Joseph into a pit, and eventually selling him for 30 pieces of silver (sound familiar?) to a band of merchants on their way to Egypt, this treacherous band of brothers were actually saving themselves. For many years later, this outcast, this slave, would eventually rise to become the prime minister of the greatest nation in the then-known world, and save those same murderous, treacherous brothers, who were certain they had sold him into a life of misery, obscurity, and ignominy. But God! 

Joseph running from Potiphar's wife
Biblical illustrations by Jim Padgett, courtesy of Sweet Publishing, Ft. Worth, TX, and Gospel Light, Ventura, CA. Copyright 1984. 
Released under new license, CC-BY-SA 3.0

Friends, what may seem impossible to men is but a small thing to God, for all things are possible with God. No matter what situation or circumstance you are in, just remember that God is greater!

Reflecting on God's blessings on Joseph's life, I am reminded that God also extends His blessings to every facet of our lives when we are faithful to Him. Although I am certainly not a prime minister like Joseph was, God has blessed me with gainful employment, and the opportunity to further my education, for which I am grateful. 

Finally, what impresses me the most about Joseph, is although he had the opportunity for self-exultation when he interpreted Pharaoh's dream, he made it clear that it was not him, but God who gave him the gift of interpretation, and consequently, because he honored God before men, God honored him, and he started his life of public service at the tender age of 30 (again, sound familiar?) as second-in-command to Pharoah.

May we be inspired by life of Joseph, who in spite of his dire circumstances, forgave his brothers, remained faithful to God, and was then exalted by God to be a blessing to his family and an entire nation.

Comments